Wisconsin Ethics Commission
101 E. Wilson Street, St. Croix Room
Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 9:00 a.m.
Open Session Agenda
A. Call to Order
B. Report of Appropriate Meeting Notice – Staff Counsel
C. Approval of Minutes of Prior Meetings
1. Open Session Minutes for Meeting on December 3, 2019
2. Open Session Minutes for Meeting on December 19, 2019
3. Open Session Minutes for Meeting on January 9, 2020
D. Personal Appearances
E. Administrative Rules Update and Hearing
F. Consideration of Guidance Document – Recall Committee Overview Manual
G. Formal Advisory Opinion Drafts Memo
1. 2020 ETH 01: Campaign Finance & Ethics – Piece Rule and Mixed-Use Social Media Accounts
2. 2020 ETH 02: Lobbying – Duties on Behalf of a Principal as Exclusive or Not Exclusive to Lobbying
3. 2020 ETH 03: Campaign Finance – Application of 50-Piece Rule to Communications with Petitions Signatories and Newspaper Advertisements
H. Review of Ethics Opinions of Previous Boards
I. Establishment of Commission-Legislature Protocols
J. IT Projects Report
K. Staff Report
L. Consideration of Future Agenda Items
M. Closed Session
1. Requests for Advice
2. Complaints and Investigations
3. Personnel Matters
Future Ethics Commission Meetings Scheduled:
• Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 9:00 AM
• Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 9:00 AM
The Ethics Commission will convene in open session but may move to closed session under WIS. STAT. § 19.85(1)(c), (g), (h), or WIS. STAT. § 19.851. This notice is to inform the public that the Commission intends to convene in open session, but may move to closed session. The Commission plans to return to open session following that closed session, as outlined in the above agenda. WIS. STAT. § 19.85(2).
WIS. STAT. §§ 19.50 & 19.55(3) No employee of the Commission may disclose information related to an investigation or prosecution under ch. 11, subchapter III of ch. 13, or ch. 19.
WIS. STAT. § 19.85(1) Any meeting of a governmental body, upon motion duly made and carried, may be convened in closed session under one or more of the exemptions provided in this section. The motion shall be carried by a majority vote in such manner that the vote of each member is ascertained and recorded in the minutes. No motion to convene in closed session may be adopted unless the chief presiding officer announces to those present at the meeting at which such motion is made, the nature of the business to be considered at such closed session, and the specific exemption or exemptions under this subsection by which such closed session is claimed to be authorized. Such announcement shall become part of the record of the meeting. No business may be taken up at any closed session except that which relates to matters contained in the chief presiding officer's announcement of the closed session. A closed session may be held for any of the following purposes:
(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.
(g) Conferring with legal counsel for the governmental body who is rendering oral or written advice concerning strategy to be adopted by the body with respect to litigation in which it is or is likely to become involved.
(h) Consideration of requests for confidential written advice from the elections commission under s. 5.05 (6a) or the ethics commission under s. 19.46 (2), or from any county or municipal ethics board under s. 19.59 (5).
WIS. STAT. § 19.851(2) The commission shall hold each meeting of the commission for the purpose of deliberating concerning an investigation of any violation of the law under the jurisdiction of the commission in closed session under this section.
Open Session Minutes 20200225.pdf